Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thing 21

I didn't realize there were so many podcasts available. I looked at all four directories, but finally chose a podcast from the Educational Podcast Directory. It was broken down by elementary, middle, and high school. That made it much easier to find podcasts suitable for my school. I tried looking at the podcasts related to technology and thought I might have found some good lessons on using mac's. When I tried to open the link, it wouldn't work. That was really disappointing. So, I went to another link called Uncontrolled Vocabulary. It is really very intersting. First, it gives instructions for others to join in. It is held every Wednesday night at 10PM and regular callers are librarians from around the country. It is just an audio podcast, but it felt like I was sitting around the table discussing issues with them.

I looked around podcast.net and was a little disappointed. I didn't find much that would be useful for elementary schools. Plus, on the side bar it said you need to download special software to fully enjoy the podcasts. I decided to move on and look at other podcast directories. I went into podcastalley and looked under the education tab. I chose one about vocabulary. Oh my, was I surprised. The speaker was not dressed appropriately for any educational setting and although she was talking about words, there is no way I could ever show that at school. I finally chose a podcast from Jamestown Elementary School. There were several podcasts that would be useful for my campus. They had math word problems, a trip to Jamestown, letter writing, as so much more.

1 comment:

mmw said...

Your post has me curious - what was she wearing??