Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Thing 2

Of the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners the most difficult for me is probably the last one, Play. Don't get me wrong I love to play. However, it seems as if so many things always get in the way and need to be taken care of before I can play. At work, I am given so many extra duties that it is difficult to get everything done in a timely manner. At home, my kids schoolwork and activities take up any extra time I may have.

Another area of difficulty for me would be #3, view problems as challenges. This is not always a problem, but when I have to work for a long time to figure out how something needs to be done I can get frustrated. If it is really difficult and I don't have any help or instructions I tend to "shut down" and not accomplish anything. However, if I sit back and think it through I realize I need to break it down into smaller pieces.

The easiest habit would be #7, mentoring or teaching others. I love teaching! There is nothing that brings me greater joy than to share my knowledge with others and help them achieve their goals. This includes classroom teaching, professional development, and one-on-one with my peers. I have already helped several teachers understand some of the new technology on our campus. I hope that completing the 23 Things will allow me to teach others what I have learned. So far, the lessons have not been too difficult and I believe I will be successful in completing all 23 Things by February 1, 2008.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

You are doing great! I'm so glad you jumped right in.